The Basics Of Digital Illustration
Have ever wondered how digital illustrations are made? This video explains the basics. Help us keep making videos by supporting us in
We try to leave jargon out of our videos, but if you want to learn more about this topic, here are some handy keywords to get your googling started:
– A raster graphics image is a digital image made of a grid of pixels
– Software able to edit raster graphics: Photoshop, Corel Painter, GIMP, Krita, etc.
– GIMP is free and open-source. Check them at
– Krita is also free and open-source. Check them at
– Pixel Art is a form of digital art where images are edited on the pixel level.
– Cross-stitch is a popular form of counted-thread embroidery in which X-shaped stitches in a tiled, raster-like pattern are used to form a picture.
– Vector graphics images are made up of mathematical shapes and can be scaled as much as needed without loss in quality.
– Software able to edit vector graphics: Adobe Illustrator, CorelDraw, Inkscape, etc.
– Inkscape is free and open-source. Check them at
– Jaggies is the informal name for artifacts in raster images, most frequently from aliasing.
– Anti-aliasing is the technique of minimizing the distortion artifacts known as aliasing.
– A graphics tablet is a computer input device that enables a user to hand-draw images with a special pen-like stylus, similar to the way a person draws images with a pencil and paper.
– A clipping mask is an object whose shape masks other artwork so that only areas that lie within the shape are visible
– Blend modes (or Mixing modes) in digital image editing are used to determine how two layers are blended into each other. The blending modes I use more frequently are Multiply and Overlay.
Credits (and Twitter handles):
Video concept and Narration by Ever Salazar (@eversalazar)
With Contributions from: Henry Reich, Alex Reich, Kate Yoshida, Omkar Bhagat, Emily Elert, Peter Reich, Rachel Becker, David Goldenberg
Music by: Nathaniel Schroeder:
Cross Stitch Pokemon – DeviantArt user MissTetraZelda
Isometric Pixel Art – DeviantArt user RGBfumes
Pixel Art Wallpaper – Flickr user RodrixAP
Vector Corvette Illustration – DeviantArt user troy2007
A big thank-you to our supporters on :
– Today I Found Out
– Maarten Bremer
– Jeff Straathof
– Mark Roth
– Tony Fadell
– Muhammad Shifaz
– Alberto Bortoni
– Nicholas Buckendorf
– Antoine Coeur
Like our videos? Subscribe to MinuteEarth on YouTube:
Get early, exclusive access to our videos on Vessel:
Support us on Patreon:
Also, say hello on:
And find us on itunes: